Hey Parents, We are living in some very turbulent and unprecedented times! Our goal as a church is to love and minister to your families in some unique and creative ways while being faithfully obedient to the wisdom and restrictions being put in place by our local, state, and national governments.
I have had three goals this week:
1. Make sure we are set for producing and publishing our Sunday Services.
2. Planning what to do for connecting with kids going forward in a digital format.
3. Finding resources for you as parents and your kids during these coming weeks.
Given that my first goal is Sunday morning production, we will not be having a full Wednesday Night online program this week (March 18). I will log on to test the Youtube Live platform at 7 PM and make some announcements and give a short encouragement to the kids. I'd ask you to encourage your kids to try to view the live broadcast at 7 PM just to test out how the system works for them. The following week (March 25) we plan to be all set and ready to run an online youth group from 7-8 PM including games, some unique prize delivery methods, and a Bible study lesson.
As for resources for you guys as parents, below are a few things that I've found. Feel free to check them out. Also, if you have ideas of how I can best serve you and your teens during this time, please feel free to reach out!
- Anxiety is a major concern for many kids during this time. Parent Cue has some awesome resources on how to talk about anxiety with various age groups. Hopefully you can put these to good use.
- During times of boredom and isolation pornography abuse sky rockets. This article has some wonderful tips and tools to help make your home digitally safe. If you would like help in setting up any of the devices or programs, I'd be happy to help.
- A few churches in West Michigan (mainly around Hudsonville) have partnered together to Be The Church during this time. They are hosting daily encouraging services at noon and have lots of resources for families. Check out their website for some great resources.
- We also have a Right Now Media account that you guys can use to study the Word together as a family during this time. Username is "firstname.lastname@example.org" and the password is "RBCY@221"
I am praying for you as parents a lot during this time. I know this is a difficult and trying time for all of us. Give yourselves grace! One of the biggest struggles I've observed with our kids is an overwhelming pressure to perform academically and athletically. While I know this is frustrating and discouraging to many of them (especially seniors who are missing out on final seasons, graduations, etc), but it is also an amazing time for our families to slow down and reconnect in ways that our normally overwhelming schedules do not allow. Praying you make the most of these difficult circumstances to pour into and disciple your kids!